The Lenny Exercises

In the past couple weeks in film-tv 1 we have been completing exercises known as “The Lenny Exercises” , which have proven to be great learning and eye-opening experiences, which will really assist in the creation of our own short films.

Lenny Exercise 1

This exercise involved taking a marked up script and some footage shot by students the year before and cutting our own version of “The Lenny”. I found this task quite interesting, and to be a good refresher in final cut pro which I had not properly used in quite some time. It was good to have to sit through all their takes and decide not only the best takes, but which parts would use an alternate angle or a close-up; this the process we will have to go through in the post-production stages of our own films. It was also very informative about shot construction in itself, as I was able to see the visual translation from text to screen. I enjoyed this exercise, as editing is one of my facourite parts about film-making but also as it was really eye opening into the process that lay ahead. In watching the takes done by the students last year, I also found myself being rather critical, and noticing little things such as  when the sound wasn’t matching up between takes, when they stuffed up the calling of the shots or when the boom- mic’s were in frame. However, despite these minor faults (which in hindsight, after filming a Lenny I realise should not have been so critical of..) the continuity between their takes was rather spot on.

Lenny Exercise 2

The second Lenny Exercise known as the ‘Four Shotter’ was an edit in camera exercise which meant that we would have to stop the camera where we would intend the first cut to be, then shoot the second shot directly after and so on. The purpose of this being to learn expediency, how to get through all four shots in a short amount of time with just one take. This exercise sounded so simple on paper, but in reality it proved to be so difficult. Shooting outside it was hard to get the lighting and white balance correct, and setting up the equipment for each shot took way longer than expected. Maintaining continuity between shots was also a major flaw in the construction of our four shotter, one mid shot ending with a character walking across frame, the next a wide shot with this character not in frame at all. This exercise proved how organisation and expediency really do go hand in hand, and that our group has quite a bit of work to do in order to achieve expediency by our shoot.

Lenny Exercise 3

The third Lenny Exercise was the most intensive of the three, involving pre, production and post stages. This was a real eye-opener as to how organised we would need to be on the day of shooting. We had managed to get some actors in for the shoot, but had to pick a location and decide on how we were going to shoot it on the fly. Whilst I think we came up with some pretty good ideas and got through the whole script and shots we needed, on  the day we shoot our actual movie we are going to need to be a lot more organised and efficient. I took on the role as First AD for the shoot, which was a rather interesting role, and by the end of it, I managed to call the shots right. We took quite a few extra takes during our shoot which proved to be quite important in the editing stages of the film. The editing stage was a collaborative effort, and I’m quite happy with our end result. I think overall the team dynamics of our group are really good, and the key for us will be organisation and efficiency. If they are mastered, or at least relatively good on the day  of our shoot; it should be quite smooth sailing. (hopefully…)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s